Thursday, October 16, 2008

My two bits.....sorry it's a lot.

OK, so here it is...
I know how most of you feel about prop102. Some for, some against. I am still torn on this issue.
I believe with my whole heart that marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman. I believe that is what God has commanded. I ALSO believe that God has given us free agency. That is why we chose to follow Jesus Christ. We wanted the right CHOOSE for ourselves. That is what our forefathers fought for. Freedom. Freedom to choose how we want to live. Free agency to make our own choices. I don't agree on passing a law that limits a person's freedoms. I don't care who you want to marry. Whether it is a man or woman, that is your choice. I don't care about how many wives or husbands you want to have. (As long as everyone is of legal age) My ancestors were forced to live in Mexico because they believed in plural marriage and it was thought to be immoral. I believe the time will come, when we will all have to answer for our decisions. It is not our responsibility to judge someone or to stop someone from doing something just because we believe it is immoral.
Now, having said that, here's the other side....
I am afraid that if prop102 isn't passed, my family will be FORCED to accept gay marriage. That the school my kids go to will teach them that gay marriage is OK. I do not want my children being taught that it is alright to be gay when I believe is a sin. I am afraid that it would be considered discrimination to teach at church or at home that it is a sin.
Here is a link to a video that shows what could happen if prop102 isn't passed.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1815820715?bctid=1822459319
I am torn between my beliefs in free agency and my fears of what could happen.
Please, please, please watch this video and give me your opinions. I need help deciding!
Do I choose to take away a persons freedom to protect my kids?

7 comments:

Kostura Family said...

well if someday gays are allowed to be married and they start to teach it in school you as a parent have the responsibility to either
A) homeschool
B) teach them the belief that you want them to have.

kids are going to learn all kids of stuff at school and you as the parent need to teach them what you want them to believe and tell them to discard what they hear.. this is for many topics not just marriage...drugs, sex before marriage, drinking, etc.
I think it is sooo unfair to force religion down other peoples throats and make them practice what you feel is right. FREE agency is taught at your church right? they are contradicting what they teach by pressuring all the members to vote yes on prop 102. I personally am VOTING NO!!!
PS that video is so one sided...and misleading. find a different source for trying to make your decision.

Carolyn said...

Monica,
I know that this is a hard choice for you, but did you know that the Church has come out very strongly in favor of this ammendment? My husband just got an email last night for sign ups for ward members to volunteer for Prop 102 phone calls. Not very often does the church actually come out and ask the members to fight for something, but we have been asked to do so this time.
However, since I already strongly supported this proposition, that was not a hard thing for me to do. I would suggest you get on lds.org and see what the brethren have said about it--go to the church news room. I do not want to discriminate against anyone, and I am fine with people making choices and living their lives, but I feel that we should not call something marriage that is NOT marriage--two men or two women is not marriage--marriage is between a man and a woman and God. I hope I haven't been too strong in my views here, but I just had to let you know how I felt about it. Good luck figuring things out!
Carolyn
P.S. It goes way beyond the school thing, although that is bad enough--activists would start suing all kinds of agencies for discrimination--adoption agencies, doctors, churches, and even photographers have all ALREADY been brought to court in Massachutes--and they have had to shut down their agencies or get out of the state--that, to me, is taking away freedoms!!

Kostura Family said...

Dont want to start anything, I just had to comment about the suing thing.. People can sue other people about ANYTHING. Somebody sued McDonalds for hot coffee spilling nd burning her...(she spilled it on herself) and she won! Just because the newest claims of suing because of sexual marriage discrimination doesnt make the act itself bad. Do we see McDonalds quit selling coffee just because one person sued them for it being to hot? NOT! In the particular case mentioned about the photographers being sued...it wasnt the same sexed couples who utimatley made the decision... It was the judge. Yes neither of us know all the details about this case... maybe there was utter discrimation against the same sex marriage couples...you never know... or yes there could have been a what you would call a bad decision from the judge. This does not mean that it will happen all the time and will all kinds of agencies. The media is out there to cause panic and stir up controversy.

McGee said...

so i was turn between this prop also. just like you i didn't know what to pick because of the same reason but this is what i have found....in history every society that has accepted homosexuals turned into coruption or seized to exist. my goverment teacher always told us that the founding fathers came here and wrote the constitution for a moral people one who believes in a higher supreme. so this is how i look at it. yes we have free agencey and we can't force others to do right but if thats the case we need to let all the prisoners and every on in jail out! cause we are forcing them to stop what they are doing and do whats right. everytime the police to a drug arrest everytime they give a ticket for speeding and so forth they are making us be obedient to the law. with that said i believe that it was horrible that years and years ago they made plural marriage illegal but why did they do that not because they thought it morally wrong because they knew the mormons were doing that and it would make them leave. they did it out of hate. i don't hate those that are gay at all.because its their choice BUT just because its a choice doesn't mean its a good one. murderers make a choice to kill but its not a good one. the prop is baning gay marriage in arizona. if they want so badly to get married go to canada and live but this country was based on princials and created by religous men.Alexis de Tocqueville once said "America is great because she is GOOD. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." i'm voting yes because i know i will be accoutable for the things i stand for. and i want me children to know i believe in the santity of marriage. thats my opinion.

Kostura Family said...

comment on mcgees comment.

we arrest murderers and drug addicts because they are a harm to society..they are dangerous to others and will harm who ever gets in their way. gay people on the other had will not affect you or my family in any sort of way. Im confused to why people think that if 2 guys down the street got married that they will be personally affected. Not! Yours mine and their lives will go on as it is now the same as it is now...unless you make it your problem just like everyone is doing right now trying to pass on the Proposition 102. Leave them alone.

Diane said...

i think i agree w/ you. i'm glad you put it on here. i completely AGREE that it is a no-no.. same w/ suicide...it is very frowned upon. but i also agree that i don't care what my neighbors do. (she's a lesbian) but it doesn't bother me. we are REALLY good friends & we spend a lot of time together. but it won't change how i feel about it.
i agree that we shouldn't worry what other people do(gay or straight)but i also believe i should do what the church has asked (vote) which they never do.
me personally i have BIGGER things to worry about than gay people. crime, bad guys, economy! it's just one more sign the end is coming soon..

Kostura Family said...

oh and also it is wrong and unjust to compare gay people to criminals! VERY WRONG!